Monday, April 03, 2006

MySpace

MySpace.com is in the news today so I would like to take a few minutes to point out the dbaggery of the site and its users. Don’t get me wrong, there are some positive uses for MySpace. Reconnecting with old friends or keeping track of old enemies can be fun. Unfortunately, the positive features are outweighed by the constant stream of BS that is Myspace.

Just a few reasons why MySpace is for d-bags:

1. People will “trick out” their profiles with templates and add-ons. Cutesy little personality tests clutter up the screen and advertise the shallow, vacuous qualities of the profilee. An example:

You Are an Appletini

Most of the time, you're a typical party girl / guy.
But when you get super sauced, you really up your sex appeal.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

No, you are not an appletini, you’re an idiot.

  1. The number of friends one has is tied to status. This leads to people adding virtual strangers to their friends list who they will never talk to. A sad, waste of time.
  2. Constant friend requests from crappy bands or web-cam prostitutes are also annoying.

If you are a MySpace user, I implore you to stop. If you want to contact your friends, shoot them an e-mail or better yet, give them an old fashioned phone call.

4 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand chastened and rebuked. I once had a friend send me a friend request under an alias :-)

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Cousin Pat said...

I, too, must wave at the masses below from the high slopes of Mt. D-bag on this day.

Sackcloth & Shame

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger GP said...

Sadly I have one too. I'm in the process of collecting everyone's real e-mail address so I can remove my contribution to this blight on humanity

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger shannon said...

have you seen My Death Space - the new website that shows myspace profiles of dead people?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home